Saturday, August 17, 2013

Spooks

"Spinoza argued that there is only one substance, which is absolutely infinite, self-caused, and eternal. He calls this substance "God", or "Nature". In fact, he takes these two terms to be synonymous (in the Latin the phrase he uses is "Deus sive Natura"). For Spinoza the whole of the natural universe is made of one substance, God, or, what's the same, Nature, and its modifications (modes)."

I believe this when I have moments of perfect clarity. 
When I'm inebriated, I assume the universe is lifting the veil, but only for the short time while I am incapacitated, this way no one will believe me when I attempt to share the secret. And I become overly sentimental, sweetly trite and glassy eyed.

Ignore it! Oh god, ignore it. I suppose it's better than being militant or sad, or sloppy or mean. 
If one day we all possess zero secrets, understand each other perfectly, we can express ourselves freely and without fear of being seen as the dunce. Until that time, tuuuune out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment